Friday 5 October 2012

Women and Chocolate


I read this week that Cadbury is introducing a new low-calorie chocolate bar aimed predominantly at women, called Crispello. It’s a kind of chocolate, wafer and creamy centre combo – not sure that’s particularly original.

Strangely the packaging is resealable, so that you can ‘save some for later’ – as if! How many of us stop eating a chocolate bar until we have polished off the lot?

So what is it with women and chocolate, supposedly? I admit to being a chocolate-loving woman, and know of many more, but I’ve heard of others who detest it! And do we really hanker for it any more than men? My hubby relishes a large bar of Dairy Milk.

Well, time for the science part. Phenylethylamine, (nickname ‘love chemical) is found in chocolate and triggers that feel good, ‘falling in love’ sensation, which gives us a sense of pleasure and well-being. Opinion is divided as to its effectiveness when sourced from chocolate as opposed to its naturally occurring state in our brains; so let me know your thoughts.

Crispello apparently has 165 calories, so what’s so low cal about that. I love a Galaxy Ripple at 174 calories not much worse, and a fun size bag of Maltesers is only 99 calories! Anyway, chocolate for me is a pleasurable treat, not a calorie counting exercise (despite knowing these statistics).

Of course, I will have to sample this new product for the good of my followers, so watch this space.

Let me know what you think, email comments@shoppersjoy.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment