Monday 11 March 2013

Cleaning Up – Vacuum Cleaners


For some years my vacuum cleaner of choice was a Dyson (cylinder). The suction power was very effective and the capacity good, but I sometimes found the cleaner slightly more cumbersome to move around than I would have liked.
 
Then things started going wrong with it and I was shocked to discover that replacement of even a basic tool cost around £40. At this point I decided that it really wasn’t cost effective to pay out for various parts and repairs and opted to shop for a new vacuum cleaner instead.

I decided to stick with a bagless, cylinder model, but wanted something lighter and more compact, whilst still offering a high level of suction. After some deliberation I chose the Russell Hobbs Power Cyclonic.

My initial impressions of the cleaner were good: it was definitely lighter and easier to manoeuvre with effective ‘carpet lifting’ suction power.

However, after a time, the suction started to lessen and I realised that in order to restore it to its original level, I had to wash no fewer than four, yes FOUR, filters. The first is a plastic cylinder and very straightforward to rinse, the second a foam square that’s OK to wash but harder to dry, the third a fibre pad also slow to dry and the fourth a HEPA (stands forhigh efficiency particulate air’, apparently) filter that has to be handled with care. I feel exhausted just explaining it, let alone doing it!

It’s true that once these filters are all washed, the suction power returns to its former ‘carpet lifting’ glory – but what a palaver! I tend to give the filters an interim shake to get rid of the dust, which at least has some effect.

Next time I buy a vacuum cleaner I’m going to endeavour to find one that I’ll spend more time using to clean the floor, than I spend cleaning it. Still, you can’t win them all!

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment