Tuesday 7 May 2013

Changing Product Packaging


I’m always a bit sceptical when I notice that a product’s packaging has been drastically changed. Is the product inside the same, or has that been changed too, either for the better or worse? Has the size of the product sneakily been reduced? Or has the packaging been made to look more stylish in order to justify a price increase?

I was formerly a big fan of Boots No7 Stay Perfect Smoothing and Brightening Eye Base, but when I went to buy a new pot, I found it came in a smaller compact. The smaller packaging means that there is no longer room to include the handy little applicator that used to be provided. OK, so this wasn’t the greatest of applicators, but it was useful to remove all of the product from the edges of the pot. It’s true; it’s actually easier to blend the creamy base over the eyelid with a finger, but the reduced pot size, means smaller surface area of the product (sorry if I’m getting a bit technical), which in turn means I can’t get a good ‘sweep’ at the eye base to apply it.

The real question is, however, am I actually getting less of the product, or does the smaller packaging just create this illusion? I can’t really answer that, as unlike many other make-up brands, No7 doesn’t state the weight on the packaging.

I’m also disappointed with the new bottle for No7 Beautiful Skin Eye Make Up Remover as the old version used to come with a pump dispenser, but now it’s just in an ordinary bottle. The dispenser allowed me to get just the right amount of remover on a cotton wool pad, but with the new version I invariably end up with too much. Is this just a ploy to make me use the remover more quickly, so that I have to buy it more often? Well, it won’t work. I’m off to find a new brand – I’ll let you know how I get on.

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment